Roasted Pumpkin, Leek and Ginger Soup with Pastry Tops
Preheat oven to 200ºC (180ºC fan assisted)/400ºF/Gas 6.
- Cut the slices of pumpkin into 7 cm/2½” lengths, cut the leeks in half lengthways and then in similar lengths. Arrange all vegetables and the ginger on a heavy baking tray, drizzle with the oil and roast for approx. 20 minutes until just tender.
- Remove from oven and place half the vegetables in a blender with the stock and blitz together until smooth, season to taste. Allow to cool along with the remaining vegetables which you have cut into smaller chunks.
- Increase oven heat by a further 20ºC and have ready 6 individual soup tureens or ovenproof bowls.
- Divide pastry into 6 and roll out each piece large enough to cover the tops of the soup bowls. Divide puréed soup and chunks between dishes, then crumble in some of the cheese, brush rims of the dishes with beaten egg.
- Top dishes with the rolled pastry discs, pressing well at edges to seal, brush tops with beaten egg, make a small hole in centre and then sprinkle with grated cheese. Place all dishes on a baking sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes until pastry is risen and golden brown.
- 500g Jus-Rol™ All butter puff pastry thawed
- 1.5kg pumpkin peeled and sliced medium thick [or other squash]
- 3 large leeks trimmed and washed
- 4cm root ginger peeled & cut into matchsticks
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 500ml chicken stock [or vegetable]
- 150g lancashire Cheese
- Beaten egg to glaze
- Salt & black pepper