Divide the block of Shortcrust pastry into six even pieces, roll out each, as described in the ‘Best results for Rolling out Shortcrust Pastry' pages, large enough to cut out a 17.5 cm/7" disc. ( Use a plate as a template for this)
- Lay some thinly sliced potato across centre of one pastry disc.
- Top with diced onion, carrot and/or swede.
- Top with diced steak and season with salt and black pepper.
- Top the meat with further slices of potato to keep in the moisture.
- Brush pastry lightly with beaten egg and bring up sides to meet over the filling.
- Press edges firmly together to seal.
- With a sharp knife knock up edges to complete sealing process.
- Turn pasty at right angles to you and crimp the knocked up edge using your thumb and forefinger of you left hand and the forefinger of the right hand.
- Brush with beaten egg and repeat with all remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 15 minutes then reduce the oven temperature by 20º and continue cooking for further 20-25 minutes.