How to Make a Cornish Pasty
Divide the block of Shortcrust pastry into six even pieces, roll out each, as described in the ‘Best results for Rolling out Shortcrust Pastry’ pages, large enough to cut out a 17.5 cm/7″ disc. ( Use a plate as a template for this)
- Lay some thinly sliced potato across centre of one pastry disc.
- Top with diced onion, carrot and/or swede.
- Top with diced steak and season with salt and black pepper.
- Top the meat with further slices of potato to keep in the moisture.
- Brush pastry lightly with beaten egg and bring up sides to meet over the filling.
- Press edges firmly together to seal.
- With a sharp knife knock up edges to complete sealing process.
- Turn pasty at right angles to you and crimp the knocked up edge using your thumb and forefinger of you left hand and the forefinger of the right hand.
- Brush with beaten egg and repeat with all remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 15 minutes then reduce the oven temperature by 20º and continue cooking for further 20-25 minutes.