Apple Strudel Pie
35 minutes bake time
Adding sultanas, nuts & cinnamon the result has the aroma & taste of a classic strudel. For extra indulgence, serve with whipped cream, a little cinnamon & sugar.
- Jus-Rol™ Sweet Shortcrust Block
- 1kg Cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into thick slices
- 100g Demerara sugar
- 1 Lemon, juice and zest
- 100g Sultanas
- 1tsp Cinnamon
- 50g Hazelnuts, roasted and chopped
- Rolling Pin
- 750ml Pie Dish
- Pastry Brush
- Sharp knife
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C for fan assisted)/ Gas M6
- Combine the prepared apples with sugar, lemon juice and zest, mix well and pile into a pie dish.
- Roll out the pastry large enough to cover dish with some room to spare. With a sharp knife cut strips of pastry from the edges and use to form a rim on the pie dish edge. Brush the edge with water to help the pastry to stick, then brush the pastry rim with water.
- Carefully lift the pastry and lay over the pie dish, press down the edges to form a good seal and trim off excess with a sharp knife. Make a small hole in the centre to allow the steam to escape and sprinkle with a little more sugar.
- For an extra special finishing touch use the pastry trimming to decorate the pie top by cutting out leaf shapes and placing them on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes then lower heat to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted)/Gas M4 and continue cooking for further 15 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
- For a nutty addition try adding 50g of hazelnuts to the mix.