- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C for fan assisted)/ Gas M6
- Combine the prepared apples with sugar, lemon juice and zest, mix well and pile into a pie dish.
- Roll out the pastry large enough to cover dish with some room to spare. With a sharp knife cut strips of pastry from the edges and use to form a rim on the pie dish edge. Brush the edge with water to help the pastry to stick, then brush the pastry rim with water.
- Carefully lift the pastry and lay over the pie dish, press down the edges to form a good seal and trim off excess with a sharp knife. Make a small hole in the centre to allow the steam to escape and sprinkle with a little more sugar.
- For an extra special finishing touch use the pastry trimming to decorate the pie top by cutting out leaf shapes and placing them on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes then lower heat to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted)/Gas M4 and continue cooking for further 15 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
For a nutty addition try adding 50g of hazelnuts to the mix.