Chocolate Heart Pastry Twists
4-6 servings (Makes 8 hearts)
20 minutes bake time
These scrumptious Chocolate Heart Pastry Twists are the perfect treat for Valentine’s Day brunch.
- 1 x 320g pack of Chilled Jus-Rol™ shortcrust Pastry Sheets
- 100g ready-made custard
- 50g of ground almonds
- 50g good quality chocolate spread
- 1/2 a tsp of Ground cinnamon
- 30g dark chocolate chips
- 100g dark chocolate, melted
- Optional: Freeze dried raspberries or strawberries for sprinkling
- 2x Baking trays
- Baking parchment
- Preheat the oven to 190°C Fan oven/Gas Mark 7.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Unroll the pastry and place it on the counter like a book.
- In a bowl mix the custard, ground almonds, ground cinnamon and the chocolate chips.
- Spread the custard mix over one side of the pastry. Then spread the chocolate spread onto the other. Fold one side on top of the other and cut lengthways into 8 pieces (around 2cm wide).
- Gently lift one strip and twist at both ends into a spiral shape, pinching the two ends together to form the top centre of the heart. Place on the tray and repeat with another.
- Place the second heart on the tray so the top curve sits next to the V of the heart (like they are joined). Brush with egg wash then bake for 18-20mins until golden and crisp. Repeat with the remaining 6 pairing them up each time.
- Leave to cool a little whilst you melt the chocolate (pop it in the microwave for a couple of minutes until all melted).
- Then transfer the hearts carefully onto a cooling rack, drizzle over the chocolate then sprinkle over the raspberries. Serve with more chocolate for dunking.