Chocolate Puff Pastry Christmas Tree
15 minutes bake time
A chocolate and hazelnut pull-apart festive Christmas tree! A delightful and delicious treat to serve around the holiday season.
- 2 x 320g Jus-Rol™ Chilled Ready Rolled Puff Pastry Sheets
- 4 tablespoons chocolate-hazelnut spread
- 1 egg, beaten
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Baking sheet
- Baking paper
- Sharp knife
- Small palette knife
- Star-shaped cookie cutter around 6-7 cm
- Pastry brush
- Wire rack
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C for fan assisted ovens), Gas Mark 6. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Unroll one of the puff pastry sheets and place on the baking sheet. Spread the chocolate-hazelnut spread over the puff pastry sheet. Unroll the second puff pastry sheet and place on top of the first one.
- Use a star-shaped cookie cutter to cut out a star from one corner of the layered pastry and set aside. Cut the remaining layered pastry into the shape of a Christmas tree (triangle) with a wide base and trunk. Pull away the excess pastry.
- Lightly score 2 lines down the middle of the triangle to form a tree trunk approximately 3cm wide. Using the trunk as a guide, cut branches into the sides of the triangle, approximately 2cm wide. Leave the top 5cm as this will be covered with the pastry star.
- Starting at the top, twist each branch away from you, giving two turns to each branch.
- Place the pastry star on top of the tree, securing with a little beaten egg. Brush the star and tree with beaten egg.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until risen and golden brown. Cool for a few minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool. Transfer to a serving plate or board and dust with icing sugar to serve.
- Add finely chopped and toasted walnuts and pecans to the filling for an extra crunch.
- If you like a chocolate and orange flavour, why not add orange zest to the chocolate mixture before spreading onto the puff pastry?
- To make it even more decadent, why not drizzle with melted dark chocolate and sprinkle with toasted chopped nuts?
- Don’t throw away the layered pastry trimmings. Cut into strips and twist into short knots. Brush with beaten egg and bake on a separate lined baking sheet for 10-12 minutes. Dust with icing sugar and serve as a festive sweet snack!