Moroccan Chicken Sausage Rolls
25 minutes bake time
Perfect as a snack or a starter. This crisp sausage roll is great spiced with harissa, cinnamon and the goodness of apricots – made with Jus-Rol ready rolled shortcrust pastry sheet.
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 1tsp olive oil
- 8 chicken sausages (or 500g turkey thigh mince)
- 2tbsp harissa paste
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 25g dried apricots, finely diced
- 1 x 320g red-rolled sheet Jus-Rol Shortcrust Pastry
- 1 egg, beaten with a fork
- 1tbsp sesame seeds
- Tzatziki, to serve
- Frying pan
- Pastry Brush
- Kitchen scissors
- Heat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan oven) Gas Mark 6. Soften the chopped shallots in the oil in a small frying pan, then allow to cool.
- When cool, transfer the shallots to a mixing bowl. Squeeze in the meat from the sausages – discarding the skins (or simply add the mince). Add the harissa, cinnamon and apricots and mix everything together.
- Unroll the pastry and cut it in in half to make two long, thin strips.
- Divide the sausage mixture roughly in two, and shape the first half into a thin sausage running alongside the longer edge of one of the pastry strips. Brush far end of long strip with a little egg before rolling up to help it stick and tightly roll up the sausage meat inside the pastry, rolling the whole log on a lightly floured surface a few times at the end to stick the join. Roll the long sausage roll over so the seam is underneath, then brush all over with some egg and sprinkle with half the sesame seeds. Use a sharp knife or scissors to cut into 4 or 5 sausage rolls.
- Repeat step 4 a second time so you end up with 8 or 10 sausage rolls. Space them on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden, crispy and cooked through.
- Serve warm or cold, with tzatziki for dipping.