Roasted Wood Pigeon in Lavender Shortcrust Pastry
30 minutes bake time
Try this recipe for hearty roasted pigeons in lavender shortcrust pastry, a perfect dinner showstopper. Made with Jus-Rol shortcrust pastry.
- 750g Jus-Rol™ shortcrust pastry
- 4 oven ready wood pigeons
- 5g chopped picked lavender
- 50g butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cloves
- Sea salt
- Milled black pepper
- Baking tray
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted) / Gas Mark 4.
- Sear the pigeon in a hot pan on all sides, baste with the butter and season well.
- Lay out the pastry and sprinkle over the lavender, then roll out to imbed the lavender into the pastry.
- Cut the pastry into the shapes needed to create the pigeon. For the body – 15 – 20cm square depending on the size of the bird (enough to cover the body), for the wings – 6 x 9cm rectangles with the corner rounded across the length of one side and for the head roll up some of the leftover pastry pieces into a ping pong sized ball (around 4cm in diameter).
- Wrap the pastry that was pre-cut for the body around the pigeon, egg wash then attach the wings and the head and egg wash again.
- Place the bird onto a baking tray and insert two cloves for eyes.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.