Spinach & Butternut Squash Samosas with Moroccan Spices
20 minutes bake time
Tasty Moroccan spices, spinach and butternut squash encased in filo samosas – perfect for entertaining or a light fuss-free Friday night dinner.
- 1 x 270 g pack Jus-Rol™ Filo Pastry Sheets
- 1/2 small butternut squash (approx 200g), peeled and cut into 1-2cm cubes
- 50 g frozen peas
- 60 g butter
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 250 g frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained
- 1/2 400g can chick peas, drained
- 1-2 tbsp harissa paste (adjust to taste)
- 1-2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Large pan
- Place the butternut squash in a pan of water, bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until tender add the peas to the pan for the last 2 minutes, drain, place in a large bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt a knob of butter, add the spring onion and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Squeeze any excess water from the spinach and roughly chop, add to a bowl with the squash, peas, spring onions, garlic and chick peas. Stir in the harissa paste, taste for seasoning (add more if required), add the fresh coriander and stir well.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Melt the remaining butter in a small pan, work with one sheet of filo pastry at a time, (keep the rest covered with cling film and a damp tea towel). Brush the pastry with a little butter on one side and cut into 2 long strips. Place a heaped teaspoon of filling at the top of one strip of pastry; fold the corner of the pastry over the filling diagonally to form a small triangle. Continue folding down diagonally to alternate sides until you reach the bottom of the strip. Brush with a little butter and place the samosa on a lined baking tray. Repeat the process until you have used all the filling. (Any remaining pastry can be kept in the freezer for a later date).
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the samosas are crisp and golden.