Cheese & Leek Strudel
35 minutes bake time
Why not treat yourself to this beautiful winter time savoury pastry tonight! Simple to make & delicious to eat.
- 4 leeks, trimmed, halved lengthways and cleaned, then sliced
- 50g butter
- 60g soft, white breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 egg, beaten with a fork
- 5 x sheets Jus-Rol Filo Pastry
- 2 tbsp grainy mustard
- 200g mature cheddar, grated
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- Frying pan
- Pastry Brush
- Baking tray
- Put the leeks in a big frying pan with 1 tbsp of the butter and fry gently until really soft and squishy, but not browned. Scrape into a big mixing bowl and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the rest of the butter in a pan or microwave and preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan oven) Gas Mark 6.
- Tip the breadcrumbs, chopped parsley and egg into the softened leeks with plenty of seasoning and mix together well. Lay out one of the filo sheets on a clean worktop, brush all over with a little of the melted butter, then carefully stick a second sheet on top. Repeat to sandwich together all the pastry. Use the same brush to now brush the top sheet all over with the grainy mustard. Leave a roughly 3-4cm border all the way around, and spread the leek mixture evenly over the rest. Finally scatter the grated cheese over the top.
- Fold the longest pastry borders over the filling to seal in, then roll the strudel up tightly from one of the shortest sides. Carefully lift the strudel onto a baking tray, seam side down, and use the last of the butter to brush all over the top. Sprinkle with the poppy seeds, then bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and crisp. Delicious with a green salad.