Mini Spiced Tuna & Olive Empanadas
20 minutes bake time
This tuna & olive recipe is a popular Spanish dish. Enjoyed in any season & suitable for picnics or indoors, this is a simple & delicious recipe to make.
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 120g can tuna in spring water, drained well
- 2 x 320g sheet JusRol ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 14 pitted green olives
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1tbsp sesame seeds
- Pastry Brush
- Baking tray
- Make the filling by tipping the canned tomatoes and garlic in a small-medium saucepan. Simmer together for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, then allow to cool. Stir through the cinnamon, chilli and tuna.
- Unroll each pastry sheet, then use a 10cm circle cutter to cut out circles of pastry. You should get 7 from each pastry sheet if you re-roll the trimmings.
- Spoon 2 tsp of the mixture onto each. Snuggle a green olive in the middle, then brush half the border with egg. Fold over one half of the pastry, and seal by pinching the edge with your fingers, until you have 14 pasty shaped empanadas. Arrange on a baking parchment-lined tray, brush the rest of the egg over and scatter with sesame seeds. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan oven) Gas Mark 6 and bake for 20 minutes until golden and crisp.