Spiced Moroccan Lamb Filo Pie
20 minutes bake time
Find out how to make spiced Moroccan lamb filo pie with this easy recipe – minced lamb, dried apricots and pine nuts in filo pastry.
- 5-6 sheets Jus-Rol™ Filo Pastry Sheets
- 1tbsp oil
- 500g Lamb, minced
- 1tsp Cinnamon
- 1tsp Mixed spice
- 1/2tsp Ground cumin
- 100ml Water or lamb stock
- 75g Dried apricots, diced
- Salt & black pepper
- 50g butter, melted
- 50g Pine nuts
- Handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Frying pan
- Ovenproof dish
- kitchen paper
- Pastry Brush
- Follow pastry preparation instructions. Preheat oven to 190°C (170°C for fan assisted ovens) Gas M5.
- Heat oil in a pan and gently sauté the onion, then add the lamb and brown. Once the lamb is browned, stir in the spices and add the water. Continue cooking over a medium to low heat for approx. 15 minutes until water has been absorbed, stir in the apricots and season to taste.
- With a slotted spoon, remove meat mixture, place on kitchen paper to drain and cool. Return pan to medium heat, add the pine nuts and allow to brown slightly, stirring all the while, remove from pan and allow to cool.
- Lightly brush one sheet of filo pastry with melted butter and place in ovenproof dish. Allow the excess pastry to hang over the sides, then repeat with two more sheets, placing them so that the dish base and sides are covered and any excess is draping over edge.
- Combine the pine nuts with the meat and a good handful of chopped parsley, put on top of the pastry, spreading it evenly over the base. Fold in the excess pastry so that it starts to cover the filling, brush again lightly with melted butter.
- Now lightly brush a further filo sheet and tear it down its length into strips. Allow the strips to drape or fold over the top of the pie in ‘waves’. Continue with one further filo sheet, brush top very lightly again and bake for 15-20 minutes or until pastry is golden.
- Serve and sprinkle with some parsley if desired.