Mushroom & Squash Veggie Sausage Rolls
Experience a perfect fusion of flavours with Jus-Rol’s Mushroom & Squash Veggie Sausage Rolls. This delightful vegetarian recipe combines earthy chestnut mushrooms and sweet butternut squash, all encased in our signature puff pastry. Enhanced with fresh thyme and tangy red onion chutney, these sausage rolls are an absolute treat. Whether it’s for a leisurely brunch, a picnic, or dinner, these versatile veggie rolls are easily prepared with our straightforward steps. Savour the crisp, flaky pastry exterior giving way to a satisfyingly savoury filling.
- 200g Butternut squash deseeded, peeled, and cut into 1cm dice
- 1 red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 250g Chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme leaves, picked
- 1 x 320g pack Jus-Rol™ Puff Pastry Sheet
- 60g Breadcrumbs
- 1 heaped tbsp of red onion chutney
- 1 egg yolk
- Splash of milk
- 1 can of cannellini beans, drained (optional)
- Black onion seeds for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (200C in a fan oven), 425°F, Gas Mark 7.
- Put the diced butternut squash into a baking tray and drizzle with a little oil. Roast for 20-25 mins or until golden and cooked through.
- While the squash is roasting, put a large shallow saucepan on a medium heat, add 1 tbsp of oil. Add the red onion, thyme, and mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until all cooked and juices are released and evaporated.
- Once the squash is cooked, leave it to cool a little then pop it into the food processor with the mushroom/onion mix. Blitz a little then add the drained cannellini beans (if using) and breadcrumbs. Stir in the chutney and season well with salt and black pepper. You want to blitz to combine but keep a chunky texture.
- Unroll the pastry and cut it down the middle lengthways.
- Divide the filling mix in half down the middle of each length of pastry.
- Mix the yolk and milk in a small bowl and mix with a fork. Brush down one side of the pastry. Roll the pastry over the filling then use the egg wash to seal the edges. Use a fork to crimp the edges.
- Cut each length into 6 pieces and put on a lined baking sheet. Brush the top with some egg wash then sprinkle with black onion seeds (if using). Chill for 15 minutes (if you have time- if not just go for it & bake).
- Bake for 15- 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Allow to stand for 5-10 mins before serving.