Seared Wood Pigeon in a Twisted Corner Basket
12 minutes bake time
Try this delicious recipe for seared wood pigeon in a twisted pastry basket with a madeira reduction. Made with Jus-Rol twisted corner pastry baskets.
- 4 Jus-Rol™ Twisted Corner Baskets
- 2 wood pigeons breasts only (use carcass and legs for stock)
- 2 small beetroots, cooked and cut into a 1cm dice
- 50g Blackberries
- 50g mixed leaves
- 100ml Madeira wine
- 100ml White wine
- 2 shallots
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 Bay leaves
- 4 sprigs of thyme Handful of rocket
- 50ml olive oil Seasoning
- 1 egg yolk for glazing
- Baking Sheet
- Preheat oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Place the Jus-Rol baskets on a baking sheet to defrost. After a few minutes prick the centre well with a fork and fold the sides over. Brush with egg yolk and bake in the preheated oven for around 12 minutes, until golden. See how to make twisted corner baskets.
- Thinly slice the shallots and garlic, gently fry, then add the white wine, Madeira wine and herbs and slowly reduce.
- Make the rocket oil by blending together the rocket, olive oil and seasoning, ready for when plating up the dish.
- Sear the pigeon in a very hot pan with a little oil for approximately 1 to 2 minutes on both sides. Remove from the pan when seared all over but still rare. Rest on a board.
- Remove the sauce from the heat (it should have been reduced to a lovely sauce by now) and strain through a chinoise.
- To serve, slice the pigeon and arrange in the basket covering with a small amount of the Madeira reduction. Garnish with a small handful of mixed leaves. Arrange the diced beetroot and blackberries around the plate and drizzle with a little rocket oil