Spinach and Feta Filo Pie
20 minutes bake time
Find out how to make spinach and feta filo pie with this easy recipe – made with Jus-Rol’s filo pastry sheets, crumbled feta and sun dried tomatoes.
- 6 Jus-Rol™ filo pastry sheets
- Melted butter for brushing
- 200g fresh spinach
- 1 red onion diced
- 25g butter
- 400g feta cheese
- 5-6 pieces sun dried tomatoes or sunblush tomato – cut into smaller pieces
- black pepper and grated nutmeg - to season
- poppy seeds for sprinkling
- Frying pan
- loose bottomed flan tin or ovenproof dish
- kitchen paper
- Pastry Brush
- Ovenproof dish
- Follow pastry preparation instructions. Preheat oven to 190°C (170°C for fan assisted ovens) Gas M5.
- Whist the spinach is cooling, gently sauté the onion in the butter and allow it to cool. Place prepared spinach, onion, tomato in a bowl and mix well, season well then crumble in the feta and mix together.
- To form the pie use a 22cm loose bottomed flan tin or ovenproof dish ( by using the loose bottomed tin you can un-mould the pie to serve but this is optional). Lightly brush a sheet of filo pastry and place in base of tin or dish so that the excess drapes over the sides. Repeat with two further filo sheets offsetting them so the base and sides of the tin are completely covered or lined.
- Put filling into the pie, spreading it evenly in the dish, then fold in the excess pastry so that it starts to cover the filling, brush again lightly with butter.
- Now make pie lid by brushing a sheet of filo with butter and tearing it into wide strips, place it on pie allowing it to fold or drape in ‘waves’. Continue with all remaining pastry, tucking some down around the sides of the pie between the dish and the pie, until filling is covered and pastry used up. Brush again very lightly and sprinkle with poppy seeds if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until pastry is crisp and golden brown. Serve hot, allowing the pie to stand for a few minutes before you un-mould it if you wish to do so.