Skip to content
- Open out the defrosted filo sheets and have ready an ovenproof dish or tin – lightly greased with melted butter. Lightly brush the top sheet of pastry with butter.
- Lay the sheet in base of tin – allowing it to hang over the sides.
- Brush a second sheet and lay it in the tin at right angles to the first sheet.
- Spoon half the filling mixture onto the pastry and spread evenly over base.
- Fold in excess overhanging pastry to cover filling.
- Lightly brush with butter.
- With a further two sheets of pastry repeat the above process.
- Spoon remaining filling over pastry and level, and again fold in excess pastry and brush with melted butter.
- Lightly brush and fold or pleat remaining pastry sheets – one at a time, over the filling – but with the excess at the sides still overlapping the edges.
- Tuck in the excess pastry down around the sides.
- With a sharp knife make parallel cuts across the baklava – cutting right down to the base.
- Turn the tin and make further cuts so that the pastry is cut in diamond shapes as shown.
- Bake at 190ºC (170ºC for fan assisted ) / 375ºF /Gas M. 5 for approx 20 minutes until pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and immediately pour over the cold syrup – allow to stand and cool before serving.