How to Make a No Dish Pie with Shortcrust Pastry
Using Jus-Rol™ Frozen ready rolled Shortcrust Pastry Sheets – which come in two discs – it is possible to make a quick pie without using a pie dish or tin.
- Unroll one pastry disc and lay on a piece of baking paper, pile your chosen filling on to the pastry leaving a border all round.
- Brush border with water or beaten egg.
- Unroll second sheet of pastry and leave on its blue film, with a sharp knife cut a cross in the middle of the sheet.
- Then cut a second cross at the same place but at right angles to the first so that you end up with eight points in the middle.
- Carefully lift up the pastry, still on the film and lay it over the base pastry plus filling.
- Discard film and press edges firmly together all round.
- Knock up edges to form a good seal by gently tapping the blade of a sharp knife held horizontally against the two layers of pastry rim.
- For the flute, make cuts in the rim, radiating out to the edge at approx. 2.5 cm/1″ intervals all round.
- Brush edge with water and start to flute by lifting up one of the cut corners and pressing over towards the filling.
- Continue doing this with every second corner to achieve a ‘sunburst’ edge.
- Brush pie top with water and then fold back every other centre point made by cutting the crosses in the top pastry sheet.
- This will then allow the filling to show through.
- Finally, lightly dredge the pie top with caster sugar, slide the pie on it’s paper onto a baking sheet and bake as in the recipes.