Beef and Wild Mushroom Pie
55 minutes bake time
Find out how to make beef and wild mushroom with this recipe – made with Jus-Rol’s all butter puff pastry, best served with creamy mash.
- 500gm Jus-Rol™ Frozen All Butter Puff Pastry Block
- Beaten egg to glaze
- 250 g Bacon, diced
- 1.5 kg Braising/stewing beef, cubed
- 5-6 tbsp oil
- 1 kg Shallots, peeled
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1.5 ltr Red wine
- 1 kg Mushrooms (we used Portobello sliced and Chestnut mushrooms quartered)
- 30 g Wild Dried Mushrooms
- Few sprigs of fresh thyme
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Pie Dish
- Pie Funnel
- Pastry Brush
- Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7
- Sauté the bacon and beef in heated oil until just browned. Remove with slotted spoon.
- Add onions to pan, cook for 5 minutes or until just beginning to turn golden, stirring occasionally.
- Return beef and bacon to pan and stir in flour, cook for two minutes, then gradually stir in red wine and herbs.
- Bring to boil and then simmer for 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in mushrooms then allow to cool.
- Place cooled pie filling in 1 large tin or dish or 3 x 26cm dishes. Place pie funnel in centre of filling.
- Roll out pastry large enough to cover dish(es), with a little extra over. Brush rims with egg glaze, cut strips from edge of pastry and use to cover rims, glaze with beaten egg.
- Cover pie filling with pastry to form a lid. Press down edges and trim excess pastry, knock up edges.
- Glaze with beaten egg. Bake until pastry is puffed and golden, (approx. 25 minutes for small dishes, 50-55 minutes for large size)