Beef, Wild Mushroom and Red Wine Pie
25 minutes bake time
Find out how to make beef, wild mushroom and red wine pie with this recipe – made with Jus-Rol’s all butter puff pastry, best served with creamy mash.
- Jus-Rol™ All butter Puff Pastry Block
- 85g Bacon, diced
- 500g Braising/stewing beef, cubed
- 2 tbsp oil
- 350g shallots, peeled
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 500ml Red wine
- 350g Mushrooms
- 10g Wild dry mushrooms
- Egg, beaten to glaze
- Pie Dish
- Pie Funnel
- Pastry Brush
- Sautée the bacon and beef in heated oil until just brown and remove from the pan. Add onions to the pan, cook for 5 minutes or until just beginning to turn golden, stirring occasionally.
- Return beef and bacon to pan and stir in flour, cook for two minutes, then gradually stir in red wine. Bring to boil and then simmer for 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in mushrooms then allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 220ºC (200ºC for fan assisted ovens)/Gas M7
- Place cooled pie filling in pie dish (we used a 26cm pie dish). Place Blackbird (or other pie funnel!!) in centre of filling.
- Roll out pastry large enough to cover pie dish plus a little bigger. Cut strips from edge of pastry and use to cover rim of pie dish – which you have brushed with beaten egg, (this keeps pie lid in place), glaze with beaten egg.
- Cover pie filling with pastry to form a lid. Press down edges firmly and trim excess pastry.
- Glaze with beaten egg. Bake for 25 minutes or until puffed and golden.