Goat’s Cheese, Onion & Watercress Tarts
20 minutes bake time
Settle down to these creamy goats cheese and onion tarts with the crunchy goodness of watercress. Easy to make & perfect for a cosy night indoors, made with Jus Rol puff pastry.
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1tbsp butter
- 1tsp hazelnut or walnut oil
- 100g watercress
- 4tbsp chopped hazelnuts
- 1 x 320g ready-rolled sheet Jus-Rol Puff Pastry
- 6 x 1cm slices goat’s cheese with a rind
- Big frying pan
- 12cm round cutter, or a plate to cut around
- 1-2 baking sheets
- Put the onions, butter and oil in a pan and cook over a low heat until the onions are really soft and turning golden – about 20 minutes.
- Scoop half of the onions into a small food processor (or use a hand blender) with half the watercress and 3 tbsp of the hazelnuts. Whizz to a pesto texture.
- Unroll the pastry sheet, and use a 10-12cm cutter (or similar) to cut 6 circles from the pastry. Space on 1-2 baking sheets, and spread the watercress pesto over the tarts. Scatter over the rest of the caramelised onions, then sit a goat’s cheese slice on each. Finally scatter over the remaining chopped hazelnuts and pop in the fridge to chill for 20-30 minutes – or up to a day if you’re preparing ahead.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan oven) Gas Mark 6. Bake for 18-20 minutes until the pastry is puffed and golden, and the cheese oozes.
- Lift the tarts from the tin onto serving plates and add a handful more of watercress to each to serve.