Marvellous Maids – of Honour
20 minutes bake time
- 1 x 320 g pack Jus-Rol, Ready rolled puff pastry
- 200g curd cheese
- 30g candied peel, finely chopped
- 30g caster sugar
- 1 lemon, zest
- 25g ground almonds
- 1 medium free range egg, plus 1 yolk
- 30g raisins
- 2 tblsp good quality lemon curd
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C (fan)/Gas 6
- Unroll the pastry and using a 7.5cm/3″ cutter, carefully cut out 12 discs and line the base of a muffin tray.
- In a bowl, combine the curd cheese, candied peel, sugar, lemon zest and ground almonds. Beat the egg and egg yolk together, add to the curd cheese and mix thoroughly.
- Divide the lemon curd between the pastry cases and top with a heaped teaspoon of the curd cheese mixture and a sprinkling of raisins.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the mixture has puffed up and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool. Dust lightly with icing sugar before serving.
- Take the pastry out of the fridge and remove from the packaging approximately 10 minutes before you are ready to use it, as it will be easier to work with.
- Don’t overfill the pastry cases as the filling will spill over the edges.
- The tarts are delicious served warm or cold!