Mexican Chicken Fajita Puff Tart
20 minutes bake time
Try this delicious mexican chicken fajita puff tart recipe for a tasty meal option. Made with Jus-Rol puff pastry and served with a sprinkling of coriander.
- Jus-Rol™ Puff Pastry Sheet
- 1-2tbsp Olive oil 2 Large chicken breasts, skinless & cut into strips (1-2cm wide)
- 1 Red pepper, deseeded & sliced into 1-2cm wide strips
- 1 Yellow pepper, deseeded & sliced into 1-2cm wide strips
- 1 Small red onion, peeled & thinly sliced
- 1 Large garlic clove, crushed
- 2tsp Fajita seasoning (or 1 tsp smoked paprika, ½ tsp hot chilli powder, 1 tsp dried mixed herbs)
- 100ml Tomato pasta sauce (or pasata mixed with 1 tblsp tomato puree)
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Medium free range egg, beaten
- 75g Mature cheddar cheese, grated
- A small bunch fresh coriander, chopped (optional)
- Baking Sheet
- Pastry Brush
- Preheat oven to 200ºC (180ºC fan assisted oven)/400ºF/Gas 6.
- Take out your Jus-Rol Puff Pastry Sheet and follow preparation instructions on pack to temper (bring to room temperature).
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the chicken and cook over a medium/high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the peppers, onion and garlic and continue to cook for 5-6 minutes stirring continually until the ingredients start to turn golden at the edges.
- Add the fajita seasoning and cook for 1 minute then add the tomato sauce, season with salt and pepper and stir through. Allow the mixture to simmer gently for 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, unroll the puff pastry sheet onto a lined baking sheet and spread the chicken mixture over the pastry, leaving a border of approx. 2cm to allow the pastry to rise. Brush the pastry boarder with beaten egg.
- Scatter over the grated cheese and bake in the for 20 minutes until piping hot and the pastry is golden at the edges.
- Allow to stand for 2-3 minutes before serving with a generous sprinkling of fresh coriander.