Pastry Love Letter Envelopes
3-6 servings (Makes 6 mini envelopes)
15 minutes bake time
Forget writing a love letter – these unique Pastry Envelopes are the best way to say how you feel this Valentine’s Day!
- 1 pkt Chilled Jus-Rol™ Shortcrust Pastry Sheets (320g)
- Plain flour, for dusting
- 1 large free range egg, whisked
- 6 heaped tsps raspberry or strawberry jam
- 2-3 tsps of demerara sugar, for sprinkling
- Optional: pink food colouring (for colouring the pastry for the hearts)
- Baking tray
- Baking paper
- Small Heart cutter
- Pastry brush
- Preheat the oven 180°C Fan/190°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. On a flour dusted surface, unwrap the pastry and carefully roll out the pastry sheets.
- Cut out your envelopes. Cut the pastry sheet in half lengthways so you have two strips. Then cut each strip into three 10x12cm shapes. With the scraps, re-roll and cut out 6 small heart shapes.
- Roll each square gently diagonally to create a diamond shape.
- Pop each square onto the tray for baking them dollop 1 heaped tsp of raspberry or strawberry filling in the middle, fold the two side corners into the middle, so it slightly crosses over to seal then the bottom flap up to join. Then pop the top corner down to seal the envelope. This is the envelope, carefully press down to seal.
- Pop the heart in the middle of the envelope to add a little extra detail then brush each envelope with the egg wash, sprinkle with a little demerara sugar then cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden & jam bubbling.
- Let it cool for 5-10 minutes then cool completely.
- Enjoy with your loved ones with a warm drink.