Spiced Lamb and Filo Pie
25 minutes bake time
Find out how to make spiced lamb and filo pie with this easy recipe – made with Jus-Rol’s filo pastry sheets, combine lamb with fruit and spices.
- 1 pack Jus-Rol™ filo pastry sheets
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onion – chopped
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- 2tsp coriander
- Salt & black pepper
- 500g lamb steaks -cut into medium sized dice
- 1 lemon juice and rind
- 150g dried apricots roughly chopped
- 150ml greek style natural yoghurt
- 50g pinenuts
- Handful of Fresh mint, chopped
- Handful of Fresh parsley, chopped
- 50g butter
- Frying pan
- Shallow ovenproof pie dish
- Sharp knife
- Pastry Brush
- Preheat oven to 190ºC ( 170ºC fan assisted) 375ºF/Gas M5.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently sauté the onion together with the spices for 5-7 minutes until onion just beginning to become tender. Add the diced lamb and continue cooking, stirring all the while until the meat is browned on all sides.
- Stir in the lemon juice and rind, the apricots, pine nuts, lastly some yogurt. Mix well, remove from heat and place in the base of a shallow, ovenproof dish and allow to cool.
- To form the lid of the pie, melt the butter and add a few of the remaining chopped herbs, open out the filo pastry and cut the stack of sheets in half across it’s length to give two stacks of rectangular sheets. Lightly brush one piece of filo with the herb butter and ‘scrunch’ it lightly then place on top of the filling. Repeat with remaining pastry and butter until all filling is covered.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25mins until the pastry is golden brown, just before removing from oven, brush again with remaining butter and scatter with remaining chopped herbs, return to oven for 2-3 minutes to just ‘set’ the herbs. Serve hot with vegetables of your choice.