Steak and Ale Pie Ovals
15 minutes bake time
Try this hearty steak and ale pie ovals recipe for a delicious meal. Made with Jus-Rol puff pastry, steak, bacon, vegetables and a real ale of your choice.
- 15 Jus-Rol™ Ready Rolled Puff Pastry 152 x 101mm Ovals
- 2kg (4.4lb) Lean stewing or braising steak, medium diced
- 100g (4oz) Streaky bacon, diced
- 2-3tbsp oil
- 500g (1lb) Medium onions, sliced
- 375g Carrots, peeled and sliced
- 200g (8oz) Parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 225g (8oz) Button, field or chestnut mushrooms, wiped and halved
- 50g (2oz) flour Beaten egg to glaze 1 ltr (approx. 2pts)
- Real ale of your choice (or half stock and half ale)
- Salt, Black pepper and a little fresh thyme
- Heavy based frying pan
- Pie Dish
- Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7.
- In a large heavy based pan, heat the oil and add bacon and then the steak in batches, allowing it to brown on all sides before removing with a slotted spoon and keeping to one side. Continue until all steak is browned.
- Add onions and gently sauté until they are just transparent. Return meat to pan along with the carrots and parsnips and the ale. Bring to boil then cover and simmer for approximately 45 minutes until meat is tender.
- Stir in the mushrooms, season to taste and allow the meat to get completely cold.
- Take the puff pastry ovals from freezer and allow to start to thaw slightly. Divide the steak and ale filing between 15 individual pie dishes and brush rims with beaten egg.
- Top each dish with a pastry disc, pressing the pastry down all around the edges. Make a small hole in top of each and glaze with egg wash.
- Bake for 15 minutes until pastry risen and golden.