Sweet Potato Samosas
20 minutes bake time
Try this delicious recipe for sweet potato samosas – made with Jus-Rol’s filo pastry sheets and seasoned with curry powder.
- 8 sheets Jus-Rol™ Filo pastry sheets
- Melted butter for brushing
- 1 medium potatoes
- 1/2 good sized sweet potato
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 2-3 tsp curry powder strength of your choice
- 50g frozen peas defrosted
- Small bunch fresh coriander
- Pastry cutters
- Pastry Brush
- Baking tray
- Follow pastry preparation instructions. Preheat oven to 190°C (170°C for fan assisted ovens) Gas M5
- Wash both potatoes, cut into large chunks – leaving skin on, and cook in normal way in boiling salted water until just cooked. NB the sweet potato will take less time than the ordinary one so pop those pieces into the pan after the others have been cooking for 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a pan, gently sauté the garlic and onion, stir in curry powder and cook for a further 3 minutes, remove from heat. Once the potatoes are cooked, cut into small dice and add to onion mixture, mix well and then stir in peas and allow to cool.
- Add some chopped coriander to the melted butter (optional) Cut the filo sheets in half down their length, re stack the strips and lightly brush one strip with melted butter, top with a second strip and brush again. Place a spoonful (approx. an eighth of the total) of the filling towards the end of the pastry strip nearest you, slightly on the left of the strip and just up from the bottom.
- Now fold the bottom right hand corner up to cover filling, fold over wrapped filling to give a triangular shaped parcel.
- Continue folding up the pastry strip ensuring points are tucked in to prevent filling seepage. Brush completed parcel with melted butter and place on baking tray. Continue with all remaining filling and pastry.
- Bake samosas for 15 – 20 minutes until golden brown, serve hot, sprinkled with further coriander if desired.