Traditional Mince Pies
20 minutes bake time
Try this recipe for traditional mince pies. Mincemeat encased in Jus-Rol shortcrust pastry – the perfect Christmas recipe.
- 2x 320g Jus-Rol™ Shortcrust Pastry Sheet
- 411 g good quality mincemeat
- Caster sugar for sprinkling
- Rolling Pin
- Pastry Brush
- 12 Hole Tart Tin
- Cookie Cutter
- 7cm and 5mm or 3 inch cutter
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C for fan assisted ovens . Have ready a 12 hole tart tin and take the pastry out of the packaging 10-15 minutes before you are ready to use it.
- Unroll the pastry and using a 7.5cm/3″ cutter cut out 12 discs and line the base of the tin. Cut out 12 smaller discs with a fluted cutter for the lids and set aside. (You may find that you are able to cut 10 discs out of the 1st sheet, simply re-roll the off cuts to make 12).
- Fill each case with 2 teaspoons of mincemeat, lightly moisten undersides of pastry lids with water and use to top tarts, pressing gently at edges to seal.
- Make a hole in the top of each pie with the tip of a sharp knife (to allow any steam to escape), brush with water, sprinkle with sugar and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Sprinkle with a little more sugar; allow to stand in the tin for 2-3 minutes before carefully transferring to a cooling rack.
- Once completely cool, these tasty festive treats can be put in an airtight container and frozen for up to a month. Simply defrost at room temperature for an hour. To serve warm, just pop in the oven for 3-4 minutes at 180C! Perfect for those unexpected visitors over the festive season!