25 minutes bake time
Try the flavour packed Woodplumpton pie, a British Pie Week Finalist recipe. Made with Jus-Rol puff pastry, chipolata sausages and woodpigeon.
- 500 g Jus-Rol™ Puff Pastry
- 8 pork chipolata sausages
- 4 woodpigeon breasts
- 450 g stewing steak
- 8 Shallots, peeled
- 568 ml veal stock
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 50 ml port wine
- 2 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
- Cornflour to thicken
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 beaten egg
- Frying pan
- Rolling Pin
- Dice the stewing steak into bite size cubes and slice each pigeon breast into 6 pieces. In a frying pan shallow fry the bacon, and when the bacon starts to crisp remove and fry the diced pigeon and stewing steak in the bacon fat to seal and slightly brown.
- Put the pint of veal stock onto simmer and place the sealed meat into the stock, add the shallots whole with the sage and simmer for 1 hour, covered, stirring occasionally.
- Grill the sausages (or cook in the oven) and when cooked, cut each in half and place in the pan with the meats, herbs and shallots etc. Add the cooked bacon and port and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and thicken with cornflour. Divide the mixture into 5 individual aluminium disposable dishes 103mm x 129mm x 41mm (4″ x 5″ x 1.5″) and blast chill (or cool ordinarily).
- Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C for fan assisted), Gas Mark 7.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface and cut out 5 rectangles 129mm x 150mm (5″ x 6″) allow to rest for 30 minutes to allow for shrinkage. Place pastry on top of individual pie and wash with beaten egg. Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes, until filling is piping hot and pastry golden brown.
- Serve with creamy mashed potato topped with leeks in a Mornay sauce with fresh chopped parsley.