Skip to content
- Roll out the pastry. Measure tin over rolled out pastry to ensure you will have enough to line the insides of the tin with a little excess to make it easier to work.
- Lift up pastry around rolling pin and gently unroll over flan tin, starting with the edge nearest to you.
- Gently ease the pastry into the tin, pressing it down the sides onto the base.
- Once you have pushed it in all the way round, go around again to press well down on to base, so that there is almost a ‘pleat’ of pastry at base of sides, and press into the flutes.
- Fold back excess pastry so that it hangs over the sides of the tin.
- To cut off the excess pastry roll the pin firmly over the top of the tin in both directions.
- Gently pull away excess pastry.
- Now gently pull up the sides of the pastry from the small excess you left at base so that the pastry stands slightly proud of the top. This will ensure a good depth to the sides of the flan if the pastry shrinks slightly in cooking.