How to Make Palmiers (Elephant Ears)
Jus-Rol™ Frozen Puff pastry Sheets are perfect for this classic recipe – however if you are using Jus-Rol™ Frozen Puff pastry in block form roll out as described in the ‘Rolling out Puff Pastry’ section to an oblong shape approx. 3-4 mm deep.
- Unroll the defrosted pastry sheet and lightly brush with beaten egg.
- Lightly sprinkle surface with the grated cheese , sugar or whatever you are using for flavour.
- Lightly mark the width of the pastry into thirds at one end and fold over one long side to meet the nearest ‘third marker’.
- Repeat with opposite side of pastry sheet.
- Now fold in both these sides again to the same width as the first fold.
- Lightly brush with beaten egg and sprinkle again with cheese.
- Finally fold one long side over onto the opposite side so that you end up with one long, narrow shape.
- With a sharp knife slice the pastry at an angle into 1 cm / 1/2″ lengths.
- Lay these cut side down on a lined baking sheet and brush lightly with beaten egg before baking.