How to Make a Jalousie
Jus-Rol™ Frozen Puff pastry Sheets are perfect for making this recipe as they are already rolled into two perfect rectangles, if using Jus-Rol™ Puff pastry in a block form, allow to defrost, cut in half and roll each half to identical sized rectangles.
- Unroll one thawed pastry sheet and lay on a lined baking sheet, then scatter over the chosen filling allowing a good 2.5 cm/1″ border all round.
- Unroll second pastry sheet still on it’s film and fold in half along its length.
- With a sharp knife make cuts along the folded edge towards the opposite side but leaving a border of 2.5 cm/1″ as above.
- Brush border of base pastry with beaten egg.
- Carefully lift folded, cut pastry sheet and lay it over one half of the base pastry.
- Open out the sheet to cover the base.
- Press edges firmly together and with a sharp knife trim off all sides to give a clean cut edge.
- Knock up edges by holding knife blade horizontally against the edges and tapping gently all the way round.
- Flute edge by pressing your thumb firmly down on top of pastry border and drawing the back of a knife inwards against it.
- Continue all the way round to flute entire edge, then brush the top with beaten egg to glaze before baking.