Lemon Meringue Pie
20 minutes bake time
Try this delicious lemon meringue pie recipe for a tasty treat. Made with Jus-Rol all butter shortcrust pastry and ready in 30 minutes.
- Jus-Rol™ All Butter Shortcrust Pastry Block
- 5 Eggs, separate 3 of the eggs
- 300g Caster sugar
- 3 Lemons, juice and rind
- 125g Unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
- Round flan tin
- Baking paper
- Baking Beans
- Balloon Whisk
- Medium sized pan
- Large bowl
- Preheat oven to 200ºC (180ºC fan assisted oven).
- Roll out pastry and use to line baking tin. Cover with baking paper and baking beans and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Beat together the 3 egg yolks with the 2 whole eggs, 150g of caster sugar and lemon juice and rind. Place in pan and heat gently stirring continuously. When warm but not boiled, gradually add the butter stirring throughout. Allow the mixture to just start to thicken then remove from heat.
- Once the pastry is baked, remove from the oven and pour the lemon mixture into the case. Reduce the oven temperature to 190ºC (170ºC fan assisted oven) and return to the oven for 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until frothy, then gradually whisk in the remaining caster sugar a little at a time until it is all incorporated and the egg whites are glossy and stiff.
- Place tablespoonful’s of the meringue on top of the lemon filling – starting at the outer edge and working inwards until all the filling is covered. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes until the meringue is golden brown and crisp to.
- Serve warm or cold.
- When you shake the tin, the filling will be just a little ‘wobbly ‘ in the centre but this will set up on cooling.