Lemon Verbena Meringue Pie
55 minutes bake time
Try this tasty lemon verbena meringue pie recipe for a sweet dessert. Made with Jus-Rol shortcrust pastry and served with raspberry sauce.
- 500g Jus-Rol™ shortcrust pastry
- 1 Bunch of Lemon Verbena
- 450ml water
- 12 Lemons zest & juice
- 130g cornflour
- 12 Egg Yolks
- 500g Caster sugar
- 4 Egg Whites
- 120g Caster sugar
- 120g icing sugar
- Baking Beans
- Baking Sheet
- Roll out the Jus-Rol™ Shortcrust Pastry on a lightly floured surface until 1/2 cm thick.
- Line 12 x 6 cm individual pastry cases then fill with parchment paper and baking beans.
- Place into the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the parchment and beans and return to the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Place half the lemon verbena in 450ml of water and bring to the boil.
- Mix the zest, juice and cornflour together and pour into 450ml boiling water.
- Stir until mixture has thickened then remove from heat.
- Mix together the egg yolks and sugar and whisk into lemon mixture.
- Return to the heat until thick then cool slightly before pouring into pastry cases.
- Reduce oven temperature to 110°C.
- Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add the sugar and icing sugar.
- Once the whites are stiff and glossy place into a piping bag.
- Pipe small mini meringues onto a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the baking sheet.
- Once cool place the mini meringues on the lemon curd pie and garnish with the remaining lemon verbena.
- Sprinkle with a little icing sugar and serve with raspberry sauce.