Sausage, Butternut Squash & Bean Pasty
40 minutes bake time
Find out how to make Sausage, Butternut Squash & Spicy Bean Pasty with this recipe – made with Jus-Rol puff pastry, haricot beans, chilli and paprika.
- 2 Jus-Rol™ Puff pastry block
- 1tsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2tsp paprika
- 1/2tsp chilli flakes
- 2tbsp tomato ketchup
- 200ml passata
- 100ml water
- 400g haricot beans rinsed and drained tinned
- 1tsp brown sugar
- 400g butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 6 sausages cut in to bite size pieces, skin removed
- Egg, beaten
- Rolling Pin
- 15cm plate
- Baking Sheet
- Pastry Brush
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C for fan assisted ovens)/Gas Mark 6.
- Cook the onions in olive oil in a saucepan until tender. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute then add the paprika, chilli flakes, ketchup, passata and water. Bring to a simmer and add the beans and sugar. Cook on a medium heat for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile roast the butternut squash and sausages together on a baking sheet in the oven for 25 minutes or until the sausages are cooked through. Then tip into the bean mixture and stir through. Leave to cool.
- Reduce the temperature of the oven to 190°C (170°C for fan assisted ovens) Gas Mark 5.
- On a lightly floured surface roll the pastry to 5mm thick that is big enough for 4x 15cm plates to fit. Use the plate to trim the pastry so you have 4 circular pastry discs. Repeat this with the other piece of pastry.
- Firmly pack a 1/8 of the filling along the centre of each round, leaving 2cm from the edge. Brush the edges of the pastry with beaten egg and then carefully draw the sides so that they meet at the top. Pinch them together and seal.
- Carefully transfer to baking sheet and brush with the remaining egg to glaze. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.