Banana and Salted Caramel Tarte Tatin
30 minutes bake time
A delicious twist on a French classic – tender caramelized banana above layers of flaky, buttery puff pastry. This recipe is perfectly served warm with fresh cream or ice-cream.
- 320 g Jus-Rol™ puff pastry sheets
- 100 g light soft brown sugar
- 75 g butter, cut into cubes
- 4-5 firm bananas
- Pinch of sea salt
- 80ml double cream
- Shallow baking tin
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Add 100g of light soft brown sugar and 45ml of water to a pan, stirring lightly to mix. Turn on to medium heat and wait for the mixture to start bubbling (do not mix at this stage).
- Take it off the heat and add 75g of butter and 80ml of double cream before whisking to form a thick, smooth mixture before returning to the heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the caramel into a 23cm cake tin with a solid base, or a frying pan with ovenproof handles and spread the caramel out quickly with the back of a warm spoon.
- Slice the bananas into 2cm-thick slices, arrange in the tin carefully in a circular pattern and sprinkle with a little sea salt.
- Cut the pastry into a circle 3cm larger than the tin. Lay on top of the bananas and tuck the edges down inside the tin.
- Bake for 25-30 mins until the pastry is risen and cooked through.
- Leave the tarte to cool in the tin for 5 mins before carefully turning out onto a large serving plate.
- Serve warm with cream or ice cream.